By Jose-Manuel Navarro
First released in 2002. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa corporation.
Read or Download Creating Tropical Yankees: Social Science Textbooks and U.S. Ideological Control in Puerto Rico, 1898-1908 PDF
Similar emigration & immigration books
The island kingdom of Cape Verde has given upward thrust to a diaspora that spans the 4 continents of the Atlantic Ocean. Migration has been necessary to the island because the start of its kingdom and connections to far off areas proceed to dominate its day by day existence. This quantity makes an important contribution to the examine of overseas migration and transnationalism through exploring the Cape Verdean diaspora via its geographic range and extensive thematic variety.
Ähnlich wie vor etwas mehr als einem Jahrzehnt die Begriffe "global" und "Globalisierung" scheinen heute die Termini "transnational" und "Transnationalisierung" zu viel gebrauchten Modebegriffen zu werden. Sollen damit alle grenzüberschreitenden sozialen Beziehungen bezeichnet werden und wird Transnationalisierung damit ein neuer Catch-All-Begriff?
In lots of democracies, voter turnout is low and getting reduce. If the folks opt for to not govern themselves, may still they be compelled to take action? For Jason Brennan, obligatory vote casting is unjust and a petty violation of electorate' liberty. The median non-voter is much less trained and rational, in addition to extra biased than the median voter.
The connection among migration and improvement is changing into an incredible box of research, but the basics - analytical instruments, conceptual framework, political stance - will not be being referred to as into query or discussion. This quantity presents a beneficial replacement point of view to the present literature because the members discover the contradictory discourses approximately migration and the function those discourses play in perpetuating inequality and a world regime of militarized surveillance.
- State of Emergency: The Third World Invasion and Conquest of America
- Not Quite Australian: How Temporary Migration Is Changing the Nation
- Unhappy Valley: Conflict in Kenya & Africa, Book 2: Violence & Ethnicity (Eastern African Studies)
- Education of Chinese children in Britain and the USA
- Mexican Women and the Other Side of Immigration: Engendering Transnational Ties (Chicana Matters)
Additional resources for Creating Tropical Yankees: Social Science Textbooks and U.S. Ideological Control in Puerto Rico, 1898-1908
110, and Education in Porto Rico, pp. 122-123. 32Coll y Toste, pp. 133-135, and Timothee, pp. 116-117. For representative reports on the history and achievements of the St. Ildephonse school, see Encarnacion Calderon, "Memoria leida por la Srta. Secretaria de la Junta el dia 30 de agosto de 1873, en el acto solemne de la distribucion de premios a las ninas del Colegio," BHPR, VII, 312-317; and "Memoria Redactada por la Excma. Senora President a de la Junta de Damas del Colegio de San Ildefonso, Dona Rosario Vallejo de Daban, correspondiente a la gestion economica durante el periodo que comprende los anos naturales de mil ochocientos noventa y uno a mil ochocientos noventa y cuatro.
There could be no real starvation in Puerto Rico, the commissioners insisted, for the simple reason that the people live so frugally and are content with so little, while the soil and the climate is so productive of many of the simple necessaries of life that it would be almost impossible to starve a people who live upon tropical fruits and tropical vegetable productions. s. Policy Makers 35 This theory that the "lush tropical soil" made for "easily contented natives" had as a corollary the view that since the "natives" did not have to exert themselves to make a living, they could not progress.
449. , p. 112; CoIl y Toste, pp. 156-161; and Timothee, pp. 108-109. Also, "Discurso leido en el Ateneo Puertorriqueno por su Presidente D. Manuel Elzaburu la noche del 10 de octubre de 1888 con motivo de la inauguracion de la referida Institucion de Ensenanza [Superior] y la apertura solemne del primer curso academico de la misma de 1888 a 1889," BHPR, X, 144-169. The bylaws and curriculum of the Institution for 1892-1893 appear in "Reglamento de la Institucion de Ensenanza Superior," BHPR, VII, 28-33.