By Joan DeBardeleben, Achim Hurrelmann
The 'democratic deficit' of the ecu Union is a miles discussed-concern of politicians and commentators, and this insightful assortment argues that this can be a results of the multi-level nature of european governance. renowned loyalties develop into divided among degrees of presidency, traces of responsibility develop into ambiguous and supranational associations appear far away from citizens.These demanding situations are a part of broader globalizing strategies that experience destabilized the normal proposal of the country nation and changed it with multilevel kinds of governance around the globe. Focusing at the ecu, this quantity examines the issues multilevel governance factors for democratic legitimacy via putting it in a comparative and theoretical context, and discover how demanding situations confronted through the european evaluate with these confronted via conventional federal structures all over the world. via a mixture of theoretical views and empirical examine, this ebook deals the ability to guage some of the reasons for the issues dealing with democracy in the ecu and indicates how legitimacy and responsibility should be more advantageous.
Read or Download Democratic Dilemmas of Multilevel Governance: Legitimacy, Representation and Accountability in the European Union (Transformations of the State) PDF
Similar european books
English-Only Europe? explores the function of languages within the means of eu integration. Languages are primary to the improvement of an built-in Europe. the best way the eu Union offers with multilingualism has critical implications for either person member international locations and diplomacy.
R&D, Innovation and Competitiveness within the ecu Chemical explores the technological know-how & expertise base and the dynamic functionality of the eu "system of innovation" within the chemical undefined, with specific realization to its contribution to monetary development via innovation and competitiveness, and its skill to translate its examine into commercially necessary items.
This ebook is open entry below a CC BY-NC 2. five license. This e-book presents a finished exam into the movement of Ukrainian nationals to the european. The chapters surround and historicize this migration opposed to a string of crises skilled by means of Ukraine and the quarter within the final 3 a long time, from the dissolution of the USSR to adjustments within the ecu borders to the failed financial reforms in self sufficient Ukraine.
This edited assortment explores the position of Euroscepticism within the eu Parliament (EP) elections of 2014 either specifically ecu Member States and throughout broader areas. It indicates how the “second fee” good points of elections without transparent agenda-setting position facilitated the incredible good fortune of Eurosceptic events whereas the often “second order” nature of only legislative elections amplified this end result, giving it a fairly diversified personality than the result of any earlier EP elections, with power in flip to impact results of later nationwide elections in addition.
- Criteria (Dose/Effect Relationships) for Organochlorine Pesticides. Report of a Working Group of Experts Prepared for the Commission of the European Communities, Directorate-General for Employment and Social Affairs, Health and Safety Directorate
- Corporate governance in a globalising world: convergence or divergence? : a European perspective
- The Elusive Quest for European Security: From EDC to CFSP
- The European Electronics Industry Towards 1992–a Profile of Market Leaders. A Profile of Market Leaders
- Invited Lectures. Proceedings of the Third Congress of the European Society for Comparative Physiology and Biochemistry, August 31–September 3, 1981, Noordwijkerhout, Netherlands
Additional resources for Democratic Dilemmas of Multilevel Governance: Legitimacy, Representation and Accountability in the European Union (Transformations of the State)
16. 28 A. Benz, ‘Policy-Making and Accountability in EU Multilevel Governance’, in A. Benz and I. Papadopolous (eds), Governance and Democracy: Comparing National, European and Transnational Experiences (London: Routledge, 2006), pp. 99–114. 29 A. Héritier, ‘Elements of Democratic Legitimation in Europe: an Alternative Perspective’, Journal of European Public Policy, 6 (1999) pp. 269–82. 30 For similar positions, see E. O. ), Making the European Polity: Reflexive Integration in the EU (London: Routledge, 2005).
What would a second-order application of these logics amount to? • The logic of analogy constitutes the most difficult case in this respect. What, after all, would it mean to claim that two different legitimation strategies are ‘analogous’? The most promising approach seems to be to focus on an analogy of institutional implications. In this case, one could speak of positive-sum relationships between different legitimation 30 Democratic Dilemmas of Multilevel Governance strategies if institutions could be designed that can be justified according to two or more of the strategies at the same time.
236–7; Marks and Hooghe, ‘Contrasting Visions’, pp. 17–20. 19 Marks and Hooghe, ‘Contrasting Visions’, pp. 18–20. , p. 24. , p. 25. 22 P. ), Debating Governance: Authority, Steering, and Democracy, p. 24. 23 Marks and Hooghe, ‘Contrasting Visions’, p. 16. 24 Peters and Pierre, ‘Multi-level Governance’, p. 85. 14 Democratic Dilemmas of Multilevel Governance 25 M. Zürn, ‘Democratic Governance beyond the Nation-State: the EU and Other International Institutions’, European Journal of International Relations, 6 (2000) pp.